See the pdf file “Was the State of Israel Born in Sin” and answer these questions on your blog
- What does the first source mean when it says that someone who lives outside of Israel is as if he does not have a G-d?
- Why was R. Zera hesitant to be seen by R. Yehuda? What was R. Yehuda’s belief about returning to Israel from Bavel?
- In Source #2, what does the Satmar Rebbe say about the “Zionist State”? Positive or Negative? What is his reasoning? How could someone else respond to his idea? The three oaths being referred to (from source 1) include that the Jews would not return “as one” to Eretz Yisrael
- What is the Ramban’s view on the mitzvah of living in Israel? Explain his view? Is it a mitzvah for all time or only at one period in Jewish history?
- In source 4, what does the commentary “Megilat Esther” say about the mitzvah of dwelling in Israel? Does he agree or disagree with Ramban?
- Jump to source 11 at the bottom of the document – what arguments does Rabbi Bleich present in favor of living in Israel – why would the “three oaths” not apply today?
THE FIRST FIVE QUESTIONS RELATE TO THE FIRST FILM; THE LAST QUESTION AND BULLET POINTS RELATE TO THE SECOND FILM
ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS ON YOUR GEMARA STUDENT BLOG
Who is Suzy Eban, who speaks in film #1? What was the role of her husband in the events of the late 1940’s in Israel?
- Pick one of those people. and
- summarize what he or she says in the different interview excerpts in the film
- explain what you learned from this person’s approach to being involved in the founding of the State of Israel.